KG's Gluten Free recipes, etc.

My collection of Gluten Free recipes, experiments, experiences and thoughts. I'm not very chatty. Just using this to share these recipes with family & friends and keep track of my recipes and changes.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies

These are great gluten free sugar cookies. The kids can play & roll out the dough without it getting tough. This is a recipe modified from p. 175 Bette Hagman's "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Makes Dessert. Last year I substituted different flours (sorghum, millet & garfava/sorghum blend) for the rice flour and we all felt the sorghum flour was the best followed by the millet flour. The addition of garfava made it chewy.

abt 10-15 minutes at 350F

Blend together the dry ingredients & set aside:

  • 2/3 cup sorghum flour
  • 2/3 cup tapioca flour
  • 2/3 cup cornstarch
  • 2 tsp. potato flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2.5 tsp. xanthan gum
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla powder

Cream together:

  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1/2 cup crisco
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg

Add dry ingredients & mix to combine into a soft ball.

Knead in enough potato starch to make dough easy to handle and roll out.

  • about 1/4 cup or so* of potato starch

Roll out dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap** to about 1/8 inch*** thickness and cut into desired shapes. Place on pan, decorate if desired & bake.

Notes:
* I generally mix in the 1/4 cup of potato starch right in the bowl, then take out about 1/3 of the dough and put it on the counter generously covered with potato starch to knead into a workable dough. So I have no idea how much potato starch goes in, could be anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup.
**I don't have the patience to roll out the dough between plastic sheets so since my kitchen is mostly gluten free and I don't have to worry about cross contamination, I just do it on my counter.
***My dough is probably closer 1/4 inch thickness.

I wonder if I cut back on the tapioca flour if I would get a cookie more like polvorones (dust cookies).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home