KG's Gluten Free recipes, etc.

My collection of Gluten Free recipes, experiments, experiences and thoughts. I'm not very chatty. Just using this to share these recipes with family & friends and keep track of my recipes and changes.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Gluten Free Cornbread Recipes

Here's 4 cornbread recipes. They vary from heavy and grainy to light and more cake-like. Last year I made blueberry cornbread muffins for Thanksgiving but I can't remember the recipe. It was probably a conglomeration of recipes made into one, but I can't find my notes, so here I go again. I had my husband rate them. I made them in a 4 x 8 loaf pan, even though the recipes said an 8x8 pan for 20-30 minutes at 375-400. The edges started browning before the middle was done. So if you're making these in a loaf pan instead of the traditional 8x8 pan you need to turn the heat down to 325-350F and bake about 45-60'. My husband rated them on a scale of 1-5 for me. He likes cake-like. I like heavy and dense. The recipes are slightly modified from my cookbooks, I prefer to use oil instead of melted margarine, I don't have regular milk in my house or buttermilk, didn't have pure orange juice, cut back on the salt, etc. I very rarely can follow a recipe exactly without tweaking it.

Husband rated on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best. He likes cornbreads that don't catch in your throat.
  1. Shreve Stockton's "Eating Gluten Free" p. 83. Very easy to make. Few ingredients. Husband rated 2.5 Heavy, very dark color, grainy bread, needs to be buttered to aid swallowing, sharp flavor. The soy flavor is very heavy, might be improved by using a more mild flavored bean flour.
  2. Roben Ryberg's "The Gluten Free Kitchen" p. 88 Batter was very thin. Nice appearance, Nice yellow color, rounded top. Husband rated 3.75. He liked color and cake-like texture
  3. Roben Ryberg's "The Gluten Free Kitchen" p. 89 Brown sugar separated out and made a ring in the center. A darker bread, probably due to brown sugar. Husband rated 3.
  4. Bette Hagman's "The Gluten Free Gourmet bakes bread" p. 151. Eggy and cake like. Husband rated 4. He like moistness, cake like texture and the less granulated texture.

I wonder if adding gelatin would help with the moisture and shelf life? #2 & #4 rose the best. #1 was very dense. Here's my modified recipes.

Basic cooking directions: Preblend dry ingredients, then add wet (lightly beat egg by hand), Then pour inot oiled loaf pan and bake about 45-60' at 325-350F

#1 Dense cornbread
Dry Ingredients:
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup soy flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan

Wet Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup soy milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/4 cup honey

#2 Cake-like Cornbread

Dry Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup potato starch
  • 1/2 cup corn starch
  • 3/4 cup corn meal
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan
  • 1/2 cup sugar

Wet Ingredients

  • 1 cup soymilk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/4 tsp cider vinegar

#3 Brown sugar Cornbread

Dry Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup potato starch
  • 1/3 cup corn starch
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (Maybe blend with wet ingredients next time?)
  • 3 Tbsp buttermilk powder

Wet ingredients

  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup oil

#4 Eggy Cake-like Cornbread

Dry Ingredients

  • 4 Tbsp garbanzo bean flour
  • 1 rounded Tbsp sorghum flour
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup tapioca flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp egg replacer
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Wet ingredients

  • 1 cup yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 1/4 cup orange-pineapple-banana juice
  • 2 eggs

I will probably use 2 & 4 for the stuffing tomorrow, just for a better appearance. That's another recipe I should write down that is just my hand where I wing it every year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home