KG's Gluten Free recipes, etc.

My collection of Gluten Free recipes, experiments, experiences and thoughts. I'm not very chatty. Just using this to share these recipes with family & friends and keep track of my recipes and changes.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Gluten Free Garbanzo Bean Flour Bread

This bread is a little heavier than cornstarch bread but has a decent texture like wheat bread. Takes about twice as long to toast as the cornstarch bread and didn't continue to rise after I put it in the oven. Tastes good same day, but like the cornstarch bread and other homemade non-preservative containing breads it needs to be toasted for the best flavor on following days.

One oiled and rice floured 8.5" x 4.5" loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes at 400F. Cover with foil after the first 10-15 minutes.

Blend dry ingredients together:
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs + 2 tsp garbanzo bean flour
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs + 2 tsp tapioca flour
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs + 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1.5 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp unflavored gelatin
  • 2 Tbs brown sugar
  • 1 tsp egg replacer
  • 2.25 tsp yeast

Blend wet ingredients together:

  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp just whites
  • 2 Tbs water
  • 3 Tbs olive oil
  • 2 tsp molasses
  • 1.25 cups water

Make a well in the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients slowly into well while mixing. Once mixed together, turn mixer to high and mix about 3-4 minutes till xanthan activates. (Mixture will thicken.) Spoon into prepared pan. let rise until dough reaches the top of the pan about 30-60 minutes. (I usually cover the pan with a larger loaf pan and put it in a warm spot.) Then bake.

I made this quite late the other night, so when it came out of the oven I just laid the pan on its side on a rack in the closed microwave oven to cool, slice and bag for freezer in the morning. (I tend to use my microwave as a bread box.) I've made and eaten tomato sandwiches on toast 2 days in a row now from this bread and it tastes and holds up fine.

This recipe based on a recipe from my Bette Hagman "The Gluten-Free Gourment Bakes Bread" Cookbook. She's is one of my favorite cookbook authors. I got a lot of her books, but I never can follow a recipe straight, I always have to make changes which I keep track of in a notebook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home