KG's Gluten Free recipes, etc.

My collection of Gluten Free recipes, experiments, experiences and thoughts. I'm not very chatty. Just using this to share these recipes with family & friends and keep track of my recipes and changes.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Cornstarch Plus Gluten Free Bread

So far I like this recipe the best out all the gluten free breads I've made. This Cornstarch brerad is easy to make, has a nice texture and is very soft.

Two 4.25 x 8.25 oiled* loaf pans. Rest 15 minutes, Rise 15 minutes, Bake 15-25min at 450F

Blend together in large mixer bowl:
  • 2 cups cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch or sorghum flour or buckwheat flour or montina flour or ... **
  • 1/3 cup potato starch flour
  • 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
  • 2 tablespoons dried egg white
  • 1 packet (about 2.5 teaspoons) gelatin
  • 4.5 teaspoons yeast
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1.5 teaspoons xanthan gum
  • 3 tablespoons finely ground pecans or walnuts or almond flour or buttermilk powder or ...

Add & beat vigorously about 2 minutes on medium. Dough starts out thin. Cover & let stand for 15 minutes:

  • 2 cups hot water (about 120F)

Add & beat till smooth & well mixed:

  • 2.5 tablespoons oil
  • 1.5 teaspoons salt

Pour batter into prepared pans, cover & let rise about 20 minutes till reaches top*** of pans, then bake until golden brown.

Cover with towel & let cool 10 minutes. Cool completely before cutting

*I use nonstick pans, oil & flour them with rice flour, otherwise it's very difficult to remove bread from pans. I'm looking for silicone pans to experiment with.

** Original recipe used 1.5 cups of cornstarch flour. (I think I got the original version from one of Bette Hagman's books. She's one of my favorite Gluten Free Cookbook authors.)

***Don't let batter rise over top of pans or bread will be too flimsy. Still tastes fine.

10/12/06 Made a very nice version with buckwheat & buttermilk powder. Sliced nice. I always slice it, then put it in the freezer. Homemade bread doesn't have the additives in it like store bought bread to keep it fresh. Gelatin has been put in this recipe for texture & freshness.

1 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Dr Vegas said...

I'll try it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home