KG's Gluten Free recipes, etc.

My collection of Gluten Free recipes, experiments, experiences and thoughts. I'm not very chatty. Just using this to share these recipes with family & friends and keep track of my recipes and changes.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Gluten Free Vegetarian Lasagne Recipe - Non-celiacs will like, Time consuming but easy

Use nonstick lasagne pan. Cover with foil and cook 1 hour at 350F. Last 10 minutes, bake uncovered to lightly brown top.

I usually do everything all at the same time but it can be done stepwise.

  1. Make Seasoning Mixture: Put some oil in a frypan, then chop & add the following ingredients one at a time. 1-2 onions, 1/2 - 1 green pepper, 3-6 garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon salt (Optional ingredients: 6-12" rhubarb, 1/2 - 1 stalk celery, handful fresh parsley, handful fresh oregano) Cook until vegetables are soft & don't taste raw. Then split & put in 2 separate large bowls.
  2. Make Vegetable mixture: Thaw 16 oz package of spinach in microwave. Slice and saute 8 oz package mushrooms till soft & light golden brown. Add spinach & mushrooms to one bowl containing 1/2 of seasoning mixture. (Can also add zuchini and other vegetables, if fresh, saute till it gives up extra moisture, if frozen, microwave & pat dry if wet). Mix everything together
  3. Make Sauce: Put 2 can gluten free tomato paste in bowl with the other 1/2 of seasoning mixture. Add 1 teaspoon brown sugar and salt to taste. (Pepper is optional.) Mix to blend. Add 5-6 cups of water, mixing after each one until it reaches the consistency of sauce.
  4. Make Cheese Mixture: Blend together, 24 oz 1% lowfat cottage cheese, 1/2 - 1 teaspoon pepper, 2 eggs, 1 wedge fresh grated parmesan cheese (reserve some for the top) and 1 pound fresh grated mozarella cheese.
  5. Noodles: Use DeBoles Rice Lasagne No Boiling Oven Ready Noodles

Make your layers:

  1. Sauce
  2. Noodles
  3. Cheese
  4. Vegetables
  5. Sauce
  6. Noodles
  7. Cheese
  8. Vegetables

Sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top, cover with foil & bake 1 hour at 350, last 10 minutes uncovered.

Notes:

  1. I tend to use very little processed foods and spices to avoid undeclared gluten and undisclosed manufacturing changes. I also call and email manufacturers to verify gluten free status of products. Cheese grated by manufacturer can contain undeclared gluten, that's why I use the food processor to grate cheese blocks. At this time Kemps cottage cheese and Roundy's tomato paste is gluten free.
  2. Brown sugar takes away the sharpness of the tomato paste.
  3. This lasagne can be cut into squares, wrapped in plastic, put in a ziplock bag in freezer to serve as an emergency last minute dinner when you're starving.
  4. When I make Lasagne, I don't use a recipe. When I'm at the store I look at the back of the the Lasagne box and say oh yeah I need some cheese and veggies. If I'm making it for my husband I put in meat. If I'm making it for everyone else the main filling ingredient is spinach and mushrooms.

For more information on DeBoles gluten free, No Boiling, Oven Ready Lasagne see http://www.deboles.com/


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home