KG's Gluten Free recipes, etc.

My collection of Gluten Free recipes, experiments, experiences and thoughts. I'm not very chatty. Just using this to share these recipes with family & friends and keep track of my recipes and changes.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Gluten Free India Potato Salad (Raita)

I really like this potato salad. It's based on a recipe for Potato Raita from The Complete Indian Cookbook by Mridula Baljekar. A long time ago I worked my way through cookbooks from the first page onward. So my husband started cooking dinner in self defense and to this day, he is still not too crazy about Indian food. I guess he got sick of the seasonings, but I still like it.

Heat over medium heat
  • 2 Tbsps oil

Fry till brown

  • 1/4 tsp fennel seeds (taste like licorice) or celery seeds (optional - I usually skip this)

Add & cook till slightly brown

  • 1 - 6 cloves of garlic (pressed)

Add, stir well. Cover pan and cook until tender & brown, stirring frequently.

  • 2 - 6 large potatoes, diced (Thin skinned red potatoes won't need to be peeled.)

Stir in, mix thoroughly and remove from heat. Cool completely.

  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Beat till smooth

  • about 2/3 cup plain yogurt (or 1 small container & they keep getting smaller.)
  • 1/2 tsp sugar

Add spiced potatoes along with any oil/spice mixture that remains in the pan. Stir and mix well.

Put in serving dish and sprinkle on

  • 1/4 tsp chili powder or paprika

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home